Club Murcia's Paul Completes The Wirral Bikeathon...Just!

Well, he said he had trained hard but our boy was looking a little fragile half way around his 40 mile cycle ride in support of Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research. Paul might be used to a Buggy but his suspect legs did manage to pedal long enough to complete the task.

The event was a great success with a staggering £50,000 raised by everyone taking part on the day.

 The weather could not have been better, mild conditions, slightly overcast and thankfully no rain! Over 1200 cyclists arrived at Arrowe Park on The Wirral yesterday to take part in the event organised by Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research.

Paul, Phil and BrianThe atmosphere at the start of the 12th Wirral Bikeathon was great with several stalls at the start area. Young an old alike were cheered on my the local Major Alan Jennings and with the odd Tandem on view, alas no one had turned up on a unicycle!

The route was made up of two different circuits and those finishing after the first circuit received medals from Wirral Beauty Queen Beth Greenham - winner of Miss Galaxy UK and those completing both circuits receiving thier medals from Esther McVey - Wirral West Conservative MP.

The full route took in some of the most picturesque parts of The Wirral Penninsula noteably, Arrowe Park, The Wirral Way, the Hoylake and Meols promenade, Thornton Hough and Brimstage. Our guys started their day at The Royal Liverpool Golf Club before cycling on to Arrowe Park and the official start.

Initially, heading off through the trails within the parkland woods, it was not long before the first steady climb and the sight of the Irby Mill Pub. Sadly, it was too early for the Pub to be open and our boys had to get their head down and earn their refreshment later in the day!

Both Brian and Phil had some experience of cycling and were no doubt amused that Paul had to make an unscheduled stop to "adjust" his shorts! Despite the brief delay (no pun intended), the boys were making steady progress and arrived at the first scheduled checkpoint to take advantage of the free water and biscuits. No Bacon Sandwiches for our finely tuned athlete!

A quick stop at the end of the first circuit at Arrowe Park saw our boys head out towards Thornton Hough and the final checkpoint before the homeward stretch. By this point Paul was officially running on empty and no amount of free biscuits could get the old legs going.

With Brian and Phil's encouragement, Paul managed to keep going to the end but he later admitted that the sight of young kids flying past him up the hills was enough motivation!!

"That was hardwork, talk about being under prepared! I managed about 14 miles with Brian on Monday, felt ok so was feeling pretty confident but once the legs packed in after about 20 miles it was a bit of a slog to the end. At that point I had another 20 miles to go and I was thinking ... well I can't actually tell you what I was thinking!"

Paul added: "Overall it was a great day, throughly enjoyed it and I'm motivated to do something similiar in the future. We heard on arrival at the finish that we had all raised £50,000 on the day which only added to the sense of acheivement".

1200 cyclist from all agesAsked what the highlight of the day was, Paul joked: "Getting to the end! Actually, the highlight was a personal battle with this young lad who kept destroying me on the hills. I had to fly past him on the downhill sections to get my own back. I think my extra weight was the telling factor!"

A special mention to Brian and Phil for their support on the day and please remember that Paul's Fundraising Page is active until the 13th September 2010.

If you had any doubts about how much difference you can make with your donation, in 1960 children with the most common form of childhood leukaemia had only a 10% chance of survival. After 50 years of research, which has only been possible through donations, there is now a 90% survival rate. Every penny really does make a difference! If you would like to learn more, visit the Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research website.

Thank you for your continuing support. Well done Paul and well done to everyone taking part in all this years UK Bikeathon Events.

We have pledged £100 to Paul to get him going and to help him further, everyone who sponsors Paul and the Club Murcia Team, will be entered into a Prize Draw to Win 4 FREE Green Fees at Roda Golf & Beach Resort. Winner will be notified on July 14th 2010.

Winner of the 4 FREE Green Fees; Mr Tony Forbes, UK. Thank You & Well Done!

Related Articles: Swapping Buggy's for Bikes! Starting at The Royal Liverpool GC, Hoylake


Share This Page ...

Copyright© 2006-2021 Club Murcia. Enjoy Golf in Murcia, Spain. All Rights Reserved.